Thursday 27 January 2011

Names, sticks and Soles

First published 17 April 2007, this was an account of my personal experience with the whole race issue. I had never had to identify myself by the colour of my skin pre 2004, so it was ery much a shock and disturbance to me

There's been a lot about race, equality and identity this month with the whole abolition story. Not making light, this is a very important part of our history, my history and its effects are still with us today, in the form of the BNP, race fights, the need for discrimination laws etc, I just read today about a prominent politician in France (go figure) say that all races aren't equal (he 's a real throw back to the Orwellian story) but he was trying to shed off his racist form because elections were coming up (and yeah,like every black, Asian person would rush to vote him in!)


Its amazing that racism is very much with young people, the number of racist attacks from the young are alarmingly increasing, yeah, you'll still hear some of the old (like Jim, in Eastenders) mutter things like; ‘they're over here, over pampered and breeding like pigs!’ (And I always thought those were just the Americans!) While it seems for now, there'll never be a right way for immigration; it is hard to be away from home, as an old African saying says
' No matter how comfortable a stranger's house is, once in a while, the heart will hunger with the memories of the lowly fireside of home'

So its so painful when young English people attack in the streets, pelting with eggs and yell 'go home n****r' but what is equally amusing and dismaying about it is when young Asian lads also do the same, I'm tempted to ask 'what are you on?’ You're Asian and just as I've got a derogatory term given for the colour of my skin, so have you, for the country of your origin! This is not a we versus them rant, this is asking why? Why after all these years, we're still fighting these battles based on our looks, beliefs and ideas, and why after 200 years of ending one menace, we're still fighting to end another. I look at this world sometimes and wonder why? What’s the point? The sky is big enough for all birds to fly, so why?

I heard again after a long time, Labi Siffre's song 'Something Inside So Strong' and I realise that God (whether you believe in Him or not) has put something on the inside of us that makes us pick up and go when we're knocked back or down, many don't even use it to its full capacity, while some are a practiced hand, difference between quitters and winners I guess and that thing is called resilience.

For today and many tough days to come, I pray you find your own wherever it is hidden and as a philosopher (Tai Solarin) once said 'may your road be rough' for only then can we appreciate the strength in our soles.

Please enjoy this poem, I wrote it for Identity


Resistance


Sweat blood pain tears
Sweat blood pain fears
Sweat blood pain
Your shackles may tie me down
My spirit however flies

Sticks stones break bones
Sticks stones break groans
Sticks stones break
Call me whatever you will
My name however remains proud

Hate rage beat chain
Hate rage beat slave
Hate rage beat
Your power might seem overcast
My strength however goes on

Year after year, you have pulled out my tongue
To silence me
Yet I have grown another and sung
There is something in the black earth
As long as my feet remain on the ground
I will not be broken
You cannot stop me
You cannot stop me

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This is a battle we fight daily, no matter our race. Once far from home, even a palace filled with welcome is a strange place.